The New York Conference UCC

The New York Conference UCC

Saturday, April 7, 2007

Happy Rest:

Reflections on the Holiness of Saturday

In his book “Can You Drink the Cup?” Henri Nouwen observed, “…just living life is not enough. We must know what we are living. A life that is not reflected upon isn’t worth living. It belongs to the essence of being human that we contemplate our life, think about it, discuss it, evaluate it, and form opinions about it. Half of living is reflecting on what is being lived.”

What did Jesus’ followers do on the day after he was crucified? What was on their minds? For what did they pray? Shock! Fear! Anger! Despair! Recrimination! Guilt! Undoubtedly, all of these feelings were present as they huddled together in the Upper Room. Why didn’t they have more courage? Why didn’t Jesus call upon the heavenly host to save him and them? Where was God? Didn’t Jesus himself wonder that!

What did Jesus’ followers do on the day after he was crucified? They rested and prayed. It was the Sabbath. And so, they honored the Sabbath day to keep it holy. They were faithful Jews after all.

When I was serving as a local church pastor, the Saturday of Holy Week was a very welcomed day of rest. It was a “free” day on which I didn’t have to prepare for and lead worship, or visit and offer Holy Communion to the sick and housebound of the congregation. When the weather was nice, this day was often one on which my wife and I did some yard work.

In more recent years we began to worship on Saturday night, too, observing the Easter Vigil. This liturgy of song, prayer and scripture tells the story of Salvation culminating in the kindling of the light in the Paschal Candle.

The scripture that most affected me during the service is the story of when God tested Abraham’s faith by commanding him to sacrifice his son, Isaac (Genesis 22:1-19). God did not make Abraham go through with it. At the last moment God’s angel told Abraham to sacrifice the ram that was caught nearby in a thicket instead of Isaac.

"I remember when David, one of the church deacons, read this text the first year that we held the Vigil. I found myself holding back tears as he read, “Because you have done this, and have not withheld your son, your only son, I will indeed bless you.” (Gen. 22:16)

This is a very poignant moment in scripture, especially when placed within the context of Jesus’ crucifixion! God did not withhold God’s only son, and that son was not given the reprieve. Indeed, through him God provided a reprieve (the lamb of God) to be offered in our place.

I see the bumper stickers on cars that point out “Freedom isn’t Free.” True enough. But, I also wonder whether we aren’t all too willing to sacrifice our daughters and sons for that which does not lead to life or freedom or the common good. I wonder whether we don’t care more for promoting our own point of view rather than seeking to look at the broader picture of God’s point of view. I wonder what God would say to us if we were to unplug our ears with the stoppers of busyness, and quiet our minds to receive the joy of God’s peace.

“Half of living is reflecting on what is being lived.” Indeed!

“I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in God’s word I hope; my soul waits for the Lord more than those who watch for the morning, more than those who watch for the morning.” (Psalm 130:5-6)

Blessings,

Rick

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rick,
When I read your Maundy Thursday entry it reminded me of a book I read 2 months ago, "Can You Drink the Cup". I went looking for it and realized I had loaned it to someone. Thanks for the quote from the book. And thank you for all your entries this Holy Week. They have been very moving and thought provoking. Have a joyous Easter Sunday.
Susan