The New York Conference UCC

The New York Conference UCC

Saturday, August 11, 2007


...To Be Continued...

It seems as though we have been devoting our movie-going life this year to seeing sequels: Oceans 13, Pirates of the Caribbean 3, Harry Potter 5 and the Bourne Ultimatum. We realized that even though we were compelled to see these sequels because of what came before, we were often disappointed by these later stories.


The thing about good movies or books is that we don't want them to end. We crave the sequel. There will be more Harry Potter movies because there are two more books on which to base them. The other movies each gave some hints at the end that there might be more movies to follow.


Of course, we know that the Harry Potter series does have an end. The Seventh and last book has come out. One elementary school near my house posted the sad news on the sign board out front, "No more Harry Potter?" Indeed, many of the students at that school have not known a time in their lives when anticipation of the continuation of this story hasn't gripped them.


But things change. Life changes and sometimes the things we cherish are no more. My job is about helping churches deal with change. Personally, I yearn for change. I am rarely satisfied with things as they are. I would go to the next project before finishing the one on which I'm presently working. Still, I don't think I like changing very much.


I didn't like it the other day when I drove past the building of the First Congregational Church UCC of Fulton. The congregation disbanded at the end of January. I couldn't help but imagine how some of the members of that congregation are still hoping for the sequel to come out again. The church is not dead, only sleeping (to mangle a scriptural reference).


It is sad whenever a church closes down. It is also very threatening to the neighboring churches. What made them close? Does their closing indicate anything about our vitality? Might we close, too? These are some of the things I've heard from other area churches.


I think congregations decide to close down years, maybe generations before they actually turn out the lights for the last time. We decide not to pay the pastor a living wage, or we turn down the idea of the community mission project. The old-timers decide not to listen to the ideas of new members. We stop funding the youth program or Sunday school in our budget. We fight with the local business people over access to the driveway and parking lot. These decisions and the spirit that they engender lead to the death of congregations without exception.


Alice Mann, church redevelopment expert associated with the Alban Institute, urges churches to continuously ask themselves three questions: who are we? why are we here? and who is our neighbor? These are simple questions that help churches identify that God has called them to be the church in order to share the love of God and to serve the world that God loves.


Asking these questions is very important. However, arriving at the right answers depends upon whether or not we are willing to say yes to God's call. If we are not, then we might answer that we are a religious fellowship gathered to serve each other and to welcome only those that are just like we are. That is, we would rather consider that we are a family chapel rather than God’s church. This is the answer that Jonah gave when he ran away from God's call to preach and offer salvation to the people of the enemy city of Nineveh.


I always hold out the hope and encouragement that God is calling us to be the church. Even Nineveh “turned” and was saved by God despite Jonah’s less than enthusiastic efforts. But wouldn’t it have been better for Jonah had he also rejoiced along with the angels in heaven rather than mope under his broom tree?


Jesus promised Peter that God answers our faithful response to the joys, struggles, aspirations and fulfillment of the Gospel, “on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevails against it.” (Matt. 16:18)


So, worship and pray, sing songs of praise and listen for God’s word tomorrow in the gathered community of faith where you are. And, when the benediction has been pronounced and you leave the church consider that with God’s help and our faithful response the story will definitely be continued…


Blessings,

Rick Cowles

No comments: