The New York Conference UCC

The New York Conference UCC

Sunday, December 30, 2007


Este Año Posado, parte dos

As Susan and I arrived at UCC Bayberry for 8:30 worship this morning, we were greeted by Bob Welcher. He said with a twinkle in his eye, "I was almost late to church this morning because I was reading this blog. It was so long."

He went onto say that it was great to read about all of the good news in our churches in this "setting of the sun" (as our Pilgrim forebears used to say) in UCC churches of Upstate New York.

I had to agree the posting was long. However, as soon as I published my last posting of reflections on "This Year Past", I started thinking of the churches, events and various church leaders that I had neglected to include. So, here goes: "This Year Past, Part Two."



Creative Ministries with an Ecumenical Vision


More and more our churches are considering doing ministry together with neighboring congregations.

United Community Church Cortland (Susquehanna) sold their huge building a couple of years ago to a local business person. After an in depth visioning process, the church realized that in order to continue to ministry they needed to get out from under the unworkable burden that the building had become. They have continued to rent space in the building from the new owner until they could find another church that might be interested in uniting with them. As of January 6, they will be worshiping with Christ Presbyterian Church of Cortland with the understanding that the two churches will seek to "live into" a possible shared ministry. Christ's pastor, the Rev. Dr. Janet Adair Hanson will pastor both churches.

North Congregational Church, Middletown (Hudson Mohawk) has provided "nesting" space for two congregations in their spacious building. The church has also "birthed" a new street ministry in Newburgh.

In 2006 the church called the Rev. Steve Ruelke as their part time associate pastor for community mission. Steve had long cherished the vision of starting a church for the homeless population of Newburgh, NY. The church supported him in this calling. With their blessing he started Ecclesia Ministries of Newburgh. Every Sunday afternoon Steve has gathered a faithful band of worshipers on the sidewalk outside an abandoned building. You can read about this by going to http://www.ecclesia-newburgh.org/. By the way North Church has just called a new pastor, the Rev. David Gregory. He follows the much appreciated interim pastorate of the Rev. Scott Ramsay.

Plymouth Bethesda in Utica (Oneida) has also been going through an extended and deep discernment process regarding its present and future ministry. Under the leadership of pastor Tom O'Donnell they have become a nesting place for two congregations. One of these congregations, Cornerstone Community Church, has completely moved into the church building with staff offices and all. The two full time pastors meet with Tom regularly to plan combined worship, fellowship and service events.

Of course, the most inspiring story (to me at least) from one of our churches is the literal rising up of Emmanuel UCC, Massena from the Ashes of the fire that destroyed the building last spring. The congregation learned that it is not the building, but the people (praise God!). The congregation has been worshiping in a Jewish Synagogue across the street until their own building can be restored. Pastor Judy Van Kennan continues to lead a very vibrant congregation that witnesses to the power of the love of God for all of God's people.


The Church Online


In listing the online efforts of some of our pastors in the first part of this 2007 retrospective I neglected to add the Rev. Randy Hammer, pastor of First Congregational in Albany (Hudson Mohawk). Randy is an published author of two books of children's sermons, one book of contemporary worship resources and a book of short stories, as well as sermons articles. Check out his website http://www.randykhammer.com/. By the way Randy is also chairperson of the Conference Church Development Task Force (serving with the Revs. Sandy Damhof and Tomi Jacobs).

Many of our churches are also utilizing the internet for communicating with their congregations (and, of course, the world). Monthly, I receive online newsletters from our churches in Massena and Madrid (Black River/St. Lawrence), Blooming Grove (Hudson Mohawk), Rome and Deansboro (Oneida), and Corning (Susquehanna).

In addition I receive weekly mini-newsbriefs from our churches in Watertown, Deansboro and Corning. More and more of our churches are developing their own websites. One of these days our associations may catch up. In the Upstate Region only Hudson Mohawk has its own website (Metro/Suffolk and Western have their websites also).



The Creative Arts


So there is much going on in our churches: creative ministries in, among and between our congregations; good leadership provided by our pastors and lay persons. I celebrate this creativity and leadership. I also celebrate the many very skilled persons who offer their artistic abilities to enhance our worship, mission and service.

Dr. Joseph Downing, musical director and organist at Plymouth Church in Syracuse (and music professor at Syracuse University), composed songfor our conference annual meeting in Hartford to go along with introduction of "Casting Your Nets on the Other Side."

Tom Rasely, music director at the First Congregational Church in Greene, has shared his "God is Still Speaking" choral benediction to the conference. It's posted in the "resources" section of the conference website (www.uccny.org). Tom is also a professional guitarist. He has just shared his first musical video with me (and has given me permission to share it with you). As a some time guitarist myself, I really liked it. I hope you do, too.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=W5kNeZbTqe0

So, blessings to you on this Sunday before the New Year.

Rick Cowles

P.S. In response to the first part of my 2007 reflections I learned that I made three mistakes (at least). I incorrectly named the new configuration of UCC and Presbyterian Churches the Three Steeples Parish United. The name is simply, Three Steeples United. The celebration of the new church configuration is to be on January 27 (not the 20th).

That leaves the third mistake (about which I have heard anyway). David Kaden tells me that I added a "." where it shouldn't be. The address of his blog on progressive Christian theology is wwwdkblog.blogspot.com. I incorrectly added a "." between the w's and David's initials. He noted that if you went to the website that I incorrectly transcribed you will find that the author is also named David Kaden, that this other David K also went to Harvard, but that his blog is written in French. Oops!

No comments: