The New York Conference UCC

The New York Conference UCC

Monday, January 15, 2007

Welcome to UCCNY Crossroads

Welcome to UCCNY Crossroads.

This is an attempt to connect everyone who is UCC or who wants to learn more about the UCC and UCC happenings across the Upstate Region of the New York Conference.

Blogging is a new experience for me! My 20 something year old children are very impressed (read: giggling uproariously at the thought of their uncool dad blogging)!

An Auspicious Day!
Today is the 21st anniversary celebration of the birthday of Martin Luther King. Eleven denominational leaders, including UCC General Minister and President John H. Thomas encouraged churches to read King's Pastoral Letter. You can find the article at http://news.ucc.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=775&Itemid=54. You can find Dr. King's letter by going to http://www.nobelprizes.com/nobel/peace/MLK-jail.html.
The mayor of Atlanta stated today that it's not so much what we do to talk about Dr. King on his birthday but what we do to work for justice and peace for all people the day after. So, I take heart that even this blog is not too late and that Dr. King's letter (with its powerful definition of non-violent struggle for just laws, its compelling answer to why African Americans couldn't wait for justice any longer, and with it's devastating disappointment at the response of the moderate white churches) still challenges us today.
At the end of his letter, King wrote, "I hope this letter finds you strong in the faith." With this hope for you (and me), I close this posting. Rick

4 comments:

Virginia Anderson said...

Hi Rick,
Congratulations on this important blog. Hope you get many responses. I read the article about the church vidio broadcasts with interest myself.
Stil l trying to lead my wonderful flock into a sense of what to do in the future.
Just an aside, but you might want to check the gender item in your profile.
Ginny Anderson, Friedens, Syracuse

Sue Gibson said...

Rick: This is a great idea and yeah, you're a little bit crazy but isn't it said, "we all need to be a fool for Christ" ;-)

I have shared this with the folks on the Oneida ServList. Hope you start to get some participation from folks all around the Upstate Region.

I'll keep checking in.

Sue Gibson, Fairmount Community UCC, Syracuse

Rick Cowles said...

Thanks, Sue for passing news of this blog site along. I urge everyone to do this -- pass it along to others in your churches.

I hope that this will be yet another venue to help folks feel more connected to the UCC.

Thanks also to Ginny for the kind words. Rick

Anonymous said...

Rick, What a wonderful way to encourage our connectedness. Thanks so much for creating this site. I look forward to future articles, and I hope others will visit it often.