Looking out over my snow covered back yard on this beautiful, breezy, sunny, Saturday afternoon, I find my mind drifting. I've come to learn that what or whom ever comes to my mind as it drifts is the Spirit's way of telling me to develop a list for praying, contacting or visiting.
And so, here are some of the joys and concerns that have drifted my way today.
I pray for those who are digging out of massive snow drifts along the south and eastern end of Lakes Ontario and Erie. We have several churches located in these areas. We can take heart in saying, "They're used to it," but that doesn't ease the effort that it takes to dig their way out.
I rejoice in those congregations that are finding news ways to be the church. For the Three Steeples Parish in Paris (Waterville & Saquoit) and the Cooperative Parish of Groton City, Groton Community and McLean Churches; and for St. Luke's UCC and Covenant Presbyterian in Auburn as they move toward merger.
I smile in thinking of Bob Grant, a retired UCC minister living in Roscoe, who at 90 is still actively providing a progressive voice to interfaith dialogue in his area.
I am happy to learn (from the comments to earlier postings in UCCNY Crossroads) of the involvement by members and pastors of our churches in AIDS support groups.
I pray for my colleague, Michael Caine, who begins his sabbatical leave, and for Susan Gibson who will be filling for him as a part time sabbatical interim in the southeastern region of the Conference.
I pray for all those churches that are in transition between pastors, or that are trying to find their way through difficult times for the church.
I take heart in the efforts of both the Oneida and Susquehanna Association leaders to find a renewed vision, purpose and structure for their respective associations.
And there are also tears: tears at learning from our missionaries Jon and Dawn Barnes in South Africa, that the heartbreaking issues raised by the movie "Blood Diamond" are real and still going on where they live.
There are tears over the bloodshed in Darfur, the violence in Iraq and Israel/Palestine.
I take heart in all that you do to spread the good news of grace and peace, of justice and righteousness, of the joy and love of God.
Rick
The New York Conference UCC
Saturday, February 10, 2007
Some Saturday Joys and Concerns
Posted by
Rick Cowles
at
3:46 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Rick-
I am so happy to read your notes about Bob Grant. In 1964 he was a counselor on staff at the junior high church camp I attended at the Lisle Conference Center. What a joy that he is still actively involved in the interfaith dialogue in the Roscoe area. Fight the good fight Bob! What a wonderful example for us all.
Several years later, as an young adult, I served on staff at that same conference center with Rev. Richard Sparrow and his wife Maryann. Dick was, at that time,serving as pastor at St. Lukes in Auburn. We still keep in contact and I will send along the news of the merger.
The UCCNY Women held their finally planning meeting today by phone. We put the finishing touches on what promises to be another renewing, healing, fun filled, joy filled, spirit filled weekend in May at Watson Homestead. Our theme this year is "The World Will Change When We....Dream God's Dream." May I add to your list, prayers for all the facilitators, and those women who will be attending for the first, second, or twentieth time, and for the staff at Watson.
Susan
Susan,
Thanks for your comments. Look for a new posting later this week about Bob Grant's interfaith work.
Rick
A bit of an "ad" about a chnce to help out with HIV/AIDS prevention and anti-retrovirals.
A lot of you know from other places that we just changed our phone number. What we did was go to Sprint and get a red Motorazer phone, a precentage of the cost goes into the "red" program: http://joinred.com/ that Bono has developed.
So, we bought a phone with many more bells and whistles than we needed, but we helped save a life.
The Susan Gibson referred to in Rick's note is the Rev. Susan Gibson from the Metropolitan Association. It is not the Susan Gibson who is registrar, secretary and treasurer of Oneida. Good luck, Susan, and God's speed.
What a joy to realize how many ways we are engaged in the fight to address the HIV/AIDS problems. If any of our UCC people are bare-headed and braving this wintry weather, take heart. I have loyal knitters who are doing their bit to support African kids orphaned by AIDS. And I have an inventory of Caps for Kids to send to anyone with a ten dollar check made out to Church World Service.
Janet, 19 South St., Washingtonville, New York, 10992
Post a Comment