Church is changing. We know this.
There is much talk about new technologies and structures to meet the changing needs of a new generation (we hope!) of Christians.
And so, we learn about new forms of worship, new hymns and praise songs, creating worship "spaces" that engage all of the senses.
We are beginning to see the need to reach out in new ways: advertizing in the newspaper and on TV, over the Internet and by sending out mass mailings to our surrounding neighborhoods.
We are considering becoming more intentional about welcoming newcomers when they cross the thresholds of our sanctuaries.
As I consider how the church is changing, I remember a quote from my college year book that opined, "The more things change the more they stay the same."
The church is changing. And, there are some things about the church that probably will stay the same.
The church, as we learn from 1 Corinthians 12 is the Body of Christ. As such the church is by definition a community. We are not autonomous. We are not alone. But with Christ and with all Christians in every time and place we are a family of faith. When we are faithful to this family we stand up for each other, pray for each other, challenge each other, support each other. We are the Body of Christ together.
But the church is changing, and not everyone who is joining our churches knows about how we work together for the common good. This truth has come home to me in several conversations that I've had recently with churches and pastors.
At Barb Wright's ecclesiastical council in Homer on February 11, she was asked how she would handle any conflict that might inevitably occur in her first pastorate.
During a conference call with the Search Committee of the First Congregational UCC in Binghamton, one of the committee members stated that many of the church's leaders are new to their positions and do not know necessarily how to do things according to church protocol.
In a conversation with Chuck Maxfield, supply preacher at the First Congregational UCC, Coventryville, he acknowledged the same point by stating that he is starting from scratch with the group of brand new leaders of the congregation. He's preaching a sermon series of the Gospel of Mark in worship, and teaching the Sunday School to memorize the Lord's Prayer.
In commenting on Barb's answer to the question of dealing with local church conflict I added that I hope that she and all pastors would consider contacting a neighboring pastor, the conference staff person, and the Association Committee on Ministry for feedback, support and consultation.
In responding to the Search Committee member from Binghamton I noted the new New York Conference online resource "The Local Church Life Handbook" available through the Conference Website. This resource is a compilation of information and weblinks to almost every aspect of congregational and denominational life. Click on the New York Conference link in the top right hand corner of this blog to find this resource.
Who are you going to call? Well, if you're in need of exterminating ghosts, you might call the Ghostbusters. But if you're in need of support and council in matters of church leadership, structure, mission, vitality, stewardship, outreach, and so much more, contact you friendly Regional Conference Minister (me, or any one of my colleagues), or call the Conference Office (315.446.3073).
Involvment in the wider church on the part of pastors and church members only enhances local church ministry. At least, that's what I know and believe.
Blessings to you in your ministry,
Rick
The New York Conference UCC
Sunday, February 18, 2007
Who Are You Going to Call?
Posted by
Rick Cowles
at
1:07 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
As I was "headhunteed" for a position in NJ recently, there were 3 questions they asked: One was the conflict one, the second was my faith journey (they wanted to know if I was "born again") and the third was the two thing I see as overall problems facing pastors (I said ignorance and disrespect)
Post a Comment