The New York Conference UCC

The New York Conference UCC

Monday, March 26, 2007

Resurrection Thoughts on a dreary Lenten Monday

I know that I shouldn’t have them (it’s Lent after all), but I do – Resurrection thoughts! I’ve been thinking about a clergy colleague and friend, named Dick, lately. He died last fall. I got to know him a dozen or so years ago while serving together on a Committee on Ministry and at the erstwhile Clergy Camps conducted each summer by my predecessor, Judy Hjorth.

Dick was the kind of friend with whom you could “pick up” right where you were weeks, months, even years before. He was a solid pastor, a very decent man. He shared the same birthday with my wife and a love of CHEEZITS with me.

Dick loved to fish. That’s the reason I’ve been thinking of him. I don’t like to fish. I don’t eat fish. But I do remember that April 1 (next to Christmas and Easter) was Dick’s high holy day – the beginning of Fishing Season. And so, he’s been in my thoughts.

What does it mean to love, and faith, hope in the face of death? Traditionally, the Church has held that Jesus’ resurrection provides us with the hope that doesn’t disappoint, that gives comfort to the bereaved, and courage to face life’s challenges. Why? It’s because death is not the end of life.

There are those who say that belief in the Resurrection is not part of the core of our faith as Christians. Whether or not the Resurrection happened is beside the point they say. It’s more important that we live a good, godly life – promoting justice, righting the wrongs of society, lifting up those who are oppressed – here and now. In this way we experience and share the reality of the transforming power of the Resurrection as God intended.

This is true. God does want us to do justice, love kindness and walk humbly with God (Micah 6:8). In fact this is what Jesus’ Resurrection frees us to do. Because we do not have to be afraid of death, we can live, love and do what is right without fear of death.

And so, I believe in the Resurrection of the living and the dead. I know that this belief may seem rather “old hat” to many progressive thinkers today. But I do believe. And, I rejoice in the hope that the Resurrection affects, the comfort that it gives and the new life that it guarantees.

I rejoice that God is with me in this life – guiding, challenging, and loving. Even more, I look forward to the welcome that God promises beyond death. Our faith is about building relationships. The heaven to which I can look forward after serving God all the rest of my days on earth is a place where my relationship with God will become perfect in love, complete in wisdom, joy and peace.

I’m going to have some CHEEZITS this Sunday and think of Dick doing some heavenly fishing. As trite as this may sound, I smile at this thought and already feel a certain sense of tranquility, of whimsy, of perspective that strengthens me to face the day. Praise God.

Blessings,

Rick

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rick -

I have always thought that you had an uappreciated sense of whimsy.

Anonymous said...

Rick,
Amen and Amen.
I'm sure Dick realized he had a wonderful friend in you as well.
Susan