Lent 4C
Call to Worship (adapted from Psalm 32)
L: Be glad in the LORD and rejoice, O righteous, and shout for joy, all you upright in heart.
P: O God, you are a hiding place for me; you preserve me from trouble; you surround me with glad cries of deliverance.
L: Be glad in the LORD and rejoice, O righteous, and shout for joy, all you upright in heart.
P: Let us worship God!
Call to Confession: (adapted from Psalm 32)
L: While I kept silence, my body wasted away through my groaning all day long. For day and night your hand, O God, was heavy upon me; my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer.
P: Then I acknowledged my sin to you, O God, and I did not hide my iniquity; I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD," and you forgave the guilt of my sin.
L: Therefore let all who are faithful offer prayer to God. Let us confess our sins.
Unison Prayer of Confession: (a meditation on Luke 15:11b-31)
Gracious God, when I reflect upon my sins, how I have missed the mark of your righteousness, how I have fallen short of my self-expectations, I am amazed that you receive me gladly with open arms. How is it that you can do this? I am not worthy of your love. My life too often becomes empty, lifeless. I too frequently give into the belief that your abundance is my entitlement. I tell myself that I have a right to health, wealth, privilege and power. I have been too proud to acknowledge my need for your mercy. Accept my prayers for forgiveness now, O God. Only you can save me. Only you can say the word, and I am free. Forgive me and help me to forgive – myself and others. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.
A Litany of Grace: (adapted from 2 Corinthians 5:16-21 and Psalm 32)
L: So if anyone is in Christ, there is a new creation: everything old has passed away. See, everything has become new!
P: Happy are those whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Happy are those to whom the LORD imputes no iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit.
L: All this is from God, who reconciled us to God’s self through Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to God’s self, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting the message of reconciliation to us.
P: For our sake God made Christ to be sin who knew no sin, so that in Christ we might become the righteousness of God. Thanks be to God! Amen.
Unison Prayer of Thanksgiving and Dedication (a meditation on Joshua 5:9-12)
We rejoice and give you thanks, O God, for all of your blessings. Like those led by our ancestor Joshua you have brought us to a place of great abundance. You provide and we partake. Now receive these tokens that we return to your keeping from the fruits of our labors. Bless those who do not have. May these gifts be used for their benefit and for the sake of your justice and love. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.
A Litany of Parting: (adapted from 2 Corinthians 5:16-21 and Psalm 32)
L: So we are ambassadors for Christ, since God is making Christ’s appeal through us; we entreat you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.
P: From now on, therefore, we regard no one from a human point of view; even though we once knew Christ from a human point of view, we know him no longer in that way.
L: God will instruct us and teach us the way we should go; God will counsel us. God’s eye will be upon us.
P: We will be glad in the LORD and rejoice. We will shout for joy.
L: Go in Peace, knowing that God goes with you.
P: Amen!
The New York Conference UCC
Monday, March 12, 2007
Scripturally Based Service Prayers
Posted by
Rick Cowles
at
12:37 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thank you for these reflections, Rick. A good way to end the day. Jennifer Fais
Post a Comment