It is always a privilege to take part in discussions with individual Christians and congregations regarding God's call. Some congregations wonder where God is leading them as they search for a new pastor. Some congregations wonder whether to proceed with merger negotiations with other churches. Persons who have sensed God's call to ministry seek the wider church's blessing for their call. Other persons who have been involved in ministry are questioning where God will lead them in the next phase of their discipleship.
This past week involved several such discussions. Peter Frye was approved for ordination pending a call by the Oneida Associationon February 25.
Search Committees from three Upstate congregations met with me last week. I presented the first batch of ministerial profiles to the search committee of Plymouth, Syracuse. They were impressed by the candidate who emphasized the need to help people not only learn more about God, but to know God.
I read through a draft of the church profile with the search committee at Plainville Christian. They have done a fine job in presenting a creative story of the congregation. They are excited about finding a new pastor and a little anxious over whether they can find the "right" one.
I read through the final draft of the church profile with the search committee at First Congregational, Binghamton. It was exciting to discuss the committee's interest in developing a creative approach to ministry. I proposed that the church develop a four year mission plan, that they call the next pastor to serve within the context of that plan, and that they enter into a more intentional covenant of mutual support with the Association Committee on Ministry. The church in consultation with the pastor and the Association would develop clear expectations of each covenantal partner. The pastor would be called to a renewable, four year term. The search committee agreed to follow through with this proposal with the church Council, other leaders, and ultimately with the congregation.
The Susquehanna Committee on Authorized Ministry also met this week. These meetings almost always deal with the real lives, hopes and frustrations of those who are or who feel called to ministry. Two individuals asked for recognition of training completed in non-UCC programs. We could grant equivalency to one, but not to the other. These are difficult decisions to make. The committee has spent several meetings in prayerful consideration of each of these candidate's requests. We continue to pray for God's wisdom and guidance.
Of course, as we participate in these vocational discussions with others, we cannot help but reflect on our own sense of call. It is a great joy for me to consider how I would answer the question that I ask all candidates for ordination, "How are you persuaded that God is calling you to ordained ministry in the United Church of Christ?" Or, more generally for all of us who are called to follow Christ, "What does your baptism mean for you?"
My answer to both questions remains the same, "I don't know where God is leading me, but I do know that God is leading me. I know that God loves and forgives me, and gives me the strength to love and forgive myself. I know that God calls and encourages me to love others, to broaden my worldview, to enlarge my capacity to accept the differences of others, and to rejoice in the knowledge of God's abiding presence in all that I (we) do.
I believe that God is still calling me to a ministry of reconciliation by encouraging congregations to be the church in mission and equipping individual disciples with the knowledge of God's call of them to service. All of this is for the purpose of faithfully loving the world that God loves and gives the Son to save.
Blessings to all of us as we discern where God is leading.
Rick
The New York Conference UCC
Sunday, March 4, 2007
"Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" -- Isaiah 6:8
Posted by
Rick Cowles
at
6:40 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment