We were meeting in the social hall underneath the sanctuary of the church in Constantia. Pastor Paul Mallory had asked me to come and discuss the future of the congregation with the remaining active members. There were 9 folks present.
We worshiped at 9:00. I celebrated communion toward the beginning of the service. Communion is conducted at the beginning of the service in Constantia because the organist needs to leave early in order to get to the service of a neighboring church where she also plays. Pastor Paul preached the sermon on Zacchaeus in which he brought to our remembrance all of those that are marginalized around the world, especially women and children. He spoke of how we Christians needed to take stock of our own lives, to see what and how we might change our own lifestyles to comply with the promises of the Gospel.
As we passed the "Peace", one woman said to me clearly and directly, "I hope you've come to bring us good news." Indeed! That was why I had come, to take them the good news that there was money available to supply an energetic seminarian to work with Paul to attract new members to the congregation and save the church. Even if none of them really expected that I would tell them this "good news", that was their hope.
So, I told them that there was good news to share, but that like the gospel that Jesus preached, the good news was not always what those who heard him wanted to hear. I said that across the conference the good news is that 40-45 churches have become involved in the major and intensive church revitalization program, "Casting Your Nets on the Other Side." I contined by saying that all of our church development money is going into this program and that, unfortunately, none was available to help them.
They wondered whether they could become involved in this program somehow. I said that they could, but that the program required a group of leaders that are committed to following through with the Casting Your Nets program. They realized that although they had an abiding love for their church, they probably didn't have the capacity to participate in Casting Your Nets.
I asked them what they valued about their life together as a congregation. They value the fellowship that they share with one another, and they value their beloved, historic church building. And, when I asked them what God was calling them to be and do, they replied that God was calling them to continue a strong fellowship that would keep open the church. They hoped that more people would be attracted by that fellowship.
The reality, however, is that they have enough money to pay to keep the church open until the end of January.
I tried to nudge them into thinking of the congregation separately from the church building. Were they willing to consider various ways to stay together and be the church while no longer being associated with the building. In fact I told them that unless they could differentiate the congregation from the building the would go out of existence when they could no longer afford the building (in January!).
This was a very difficult discussion. It was friendly. We were polite. We laughed and were sad. They made the decision to hold a special congregational meeting to consider the idea of selling the building and of dissolving the congregation.
While we were discussing these things, we heard footsteps upstairs in the sanctuary. Soon we heard these footsteps descending the steep stairway. The door into the social hall opened and there was a boy. About 9 or 10, he peered in, somewhat leerily, I think, at the old people sitting there gawking. He said, "Is there church today?"...
Now what would you have done if you were in that situation? Would you have...
- Told the boy that worship was over, that we were in a meeting and suggest that he leave?
- Thanked the boy for coming and say that worship is at 9:00 on Sunday morning. That we'd love to have him come next week and bring his family?
- Thanked the boy for coming, invited him into the room and shared in some pre-emptory worship. Talked about Zacchaeus and about Jesus. Sang a hymn or song and said a prayer? Then would you have invited him back next week?
And so, we wondered, could this be a sign that God was encouraging the small flock of "mature" saints to carry on? Maybe. I thought that this was at least a sign that there were people who wanted to hear about and experience the grace and peace of God. All we need is for congregations to open up their hearts and their eyes to truly welcome God's children as they come to us (and not necessarilty as we think they should be!).
On my way home I thought over how we had entertained our angel that morning. As I did, I wished that we could have done things differently. I wished that we would have chosen option 3 in my list. We did the next best thing. We chose option 2. It's possible that through the workings of the Spirit the boy might return. But I wondered what blessings we might have shared if we invited the boy in, shared our love of Jesus with him, entertained his questions and heard his wisdom. And, I prayed that we (I) might have another chance, and that, if so, we (I)would do better.
Blessings,
Rick Cowles
2 comments:
Actually, I think you were entertaining Zaccheus: someone curious about and in need of the good news. Can church be a place for people who don't know the schedule, the rules or the way we always do it? Jesus didn't invite Zaccheus to the next parade. He asked him for an invitation to his house: meeting people in their world, not waiting for them to dare to enter ours. Thanks, again, Rick.
What an amazing story. It is problematic with struggling churches to focus on the "now" and lose the focus of what are callings truly need to be.
Post a Comment