"Rejoice always, prayer without ceasing, give thanks in all
And so, it is easy to give thanks in the aftermath of my father's death on Tuesday for the many expressions of support that so many of you have offered in so many ways. Thank you.
circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for
you." (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)
We continue to find strength in your prayers and friendship. Walter Smith, pastor in Ogdensburg wrote of one of his seminary professors at Bangor Seminary whose spouse died. At her funeral service the professor offered a prayer (especially for the future pastors present) that had a short verse that ended, "By the guidance that we give, enable us ourselves to live."
Rich Tosh, former pastor in Greene, reminded me of one of the final confessions of David Van Slooten before he died. David served as a licensed pastor in a number of churches in Susquehanna Association from 1948 until just prior to his death in 2004. David told Rich, "I am convinced of what I have been preaching."
As I read these sentiments, I remembered an "on the move" interview of Dick Button, the Olympic gold medalist figure skater and later T.V. figure skating analyst. When asked to explain how he became so accomplished as a skater he replied, "Practice, practice, practice."
Indeed! I've been thinking a good deal about such things, not only recently but over a number of years. It's always been a goal to practice what I preach. (It's also been a mighty struggle!)
If I were to put what I've been preaching (and what I believe that I've been trying to practice) is "Hope in God." Taken from the refrain offered in Psalms 42 & 43, "Hope in God, for I shall again praise [the Holy One], my help and my God. And so, as I love God, others and myself and fail, I hope for God's help and mercy. As I attempt to do what is right, to advocate for justice, to forgive, to rejoice, I beg for God's help. As I seek the Spirit's inspiration to write a sermon, or offer a prayer or express the right words of comfort or challenge, I hope that God will provide what I lack.
In this way I understand the notion of practicing what I preach, or more generally practicing my faith differently. I believe that in going to church, saying our prayers, doing justice, visiting the sick I am putting my faith into practice. I also believe that it is a way of practicing my faith. I understand this practicing do be much like that way I used to practice playing the guitar. I would pluck the strings and sing the songs over and over again until I could sing the song by heart when I was called upon to sing.
A grieving woman once told me how she was alone with her father as he lay dying. She had not been a practicing church goer for quite a long time. But suddenly, as her father was taking his last breaths the words of the 23rd Psalm came to her. At some time in her life a Sunday School teacher or youth fellowship advisor had probably taught it to her, or asked her to memorize it. And, blessing upon blessing, at that moment, in her need for faith, the living waters of faith welled up for her.
I once read the story of Bishop Polycarp of Smyrna, who was martyred in the 2nd century. The Romans had been hunting for him, but he had alluded capture. Finally, he was cornered. His followerers tried to help escape one last time before the trap was sprung. He refused. When he went before the proconsul who demanded that he swear by the fortune of Caesar and renounce Christ. Polycarp said, "Eighty-six years I have served him, and he never did me any wrong. How can I blaspheme my King who saved me?"
And so, I thank you for your prayers. And, I thank God for the hope that I offer thanks and praise in all circumstances and for the promise that God loves me anyway.
Blessings,
Rick Cowles
The New York Conference UCC
Sunday, November 11, 2007
"Practice, Practice, Practice!"
Posted by
Rick Cowles
at
11:50 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment