Thank you. The last posting of UCCNY Crossroads struck a chord in many of you. Your emails and comments on the blog site and in person have been very gratifying. Thank you for your words of support, your prayers, the sharing of your own experiences with parents and nursing homes, and your own reflections on issues of independence and loss.
My understanding of the role of UCC Associations and Conferences, and especially conference staff, is to strengthen and foster our mutual support in ministry.
I was heartened yesterday at a meeting of Susquehanna Authorized Ministers in Sherburne to overhear a conversation between two of our pastors who were in the process of establishing a lectionary bible study group with the other UCC pastors in their area. One of them mentioned an ecumenical support group of female pastors with whom she was meeting also.
I've been in conversation with the Oneida and Susquehanna Committees on Authorized Ministry about organizing Peer Support Groups for our Pastors and Specialized Ministers. Ministry can be a lonely profession. I receive calls from pastors who want to talk through problems of inappropriate behavior on the part of one parishioner with others, or of that other agressive pastor in town that is evangelizing UCC parishioners, or of how to do a fair and mutually acceptable ministry evaluation process, or how to connect with continuing education programs, or who just want to talk with "someone" about "life".
Lay readers of this blog can take heart that we're also encouraging networking among congregations. The Oneida Association Life Committee has taken this mission on as a focus of their work. There also seems to be a groundswell of interest among more of our churches that are realizing the need, opportunity and calling to work, worship, be in fellowship and do ministry with neighboring congregations (whether with other UCC congregations, or with congregations affiliated with other denominations).
In discussing what I "do" now that I am not a local church pastor I'm often asked, "Well you're in administration?" I reply that I actually do less administration now than when I was a local church pastor. I'm more of a consultation to churches offering encouragement, resources for leadership development, finding pastors, working through conflict, mission and ministry planning and goal setting, organization analysis. I support clergy and other authorized ministers in much the same ways, offering my encouragement, support, prayers and whatever wisdom I possess on any given day.
Conference ministry is one of building connections. One of the ways that I have been attempting to do this is through UCCNY Crossroads. I've been amazed at the response to these postings. In October 207 people made 571 visits and viewed 920 posting pages, from 13 states and two foreign countries. People from 74 cities and villages across the New York Conference logged onto the site 516 times.
So, connecting with you in this way has become an important and valued part of my ministry, for me and, hopefully for you. Thank you for reading, and thank you for your continued prayers for our mutual ministry in and through our local congregations, associations, the conference and the wider UCC. Bless you in your own discipleship and calling to love and follow Jesus.
Blessings,
Rick Cowles
P.S. I am also thankful for our continuing prayers on behalf of my father and our family. He has had a difficult week since transfering from the hospital to the nursing home. He's had a fall and other upsets, so is now back in the hospital awaiting transfer to a different nursing home. R
The New York Conference UCC
Thursday, November 1, 2007
For Our Mutual Support
Posted by
Rick Cowles
at
8:55 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Rick,
I will continue to keep you and your father in my prayers.
Jan
Post a Comment