The New York Conference UCC

The New York Conference UCC

Sunday, October 14, 2007


Some Things I've Learned This Fall

It's been a busy fall. I guess it's not busier than most years. But it has been busy this year. It's been good this weekend to have no commitments. Yesterday we packed away our porch and lawn furniture. I mowed the lawn and started the snowblower. There'll be more lawn mowing before the snow flies, no doubt, but it's good to have things ready.

We watched some sports on T.V. We were ecstatic when the Red Sox won on Friday night, not so much last night (or early this morning) when they lost. I wrote one of the two sermons I'm preaching next Sunday this afternoon. We'll watch a "Miss Marple" video tonight after I finish this posting. If it sounds blissfully unexciting to you, well so be it. It's what I've needed.

I've been remembering something one of my college history professor said about the exams he gave. He said that his goal was to teach us what we didn't know. Thinking beyond the seeming negativity, I found his approach exceedingly helpful. He wanted us to learn from our studies and from the tests that he gave. He wanted to teach us where we did well and where we needed to improve. For me this professor's courses and exams became an exercise in understanding my limits and my possibilities.

I've been coming face to face with my limits. I wish I had more time. And, I wish I used the time I have more efficiently. There's so much to do, so much that I want to do. I've wanted to create my own website since last spring, but haven't found the time. There hasn't been time to write more service music or lectionary prayers. I've been working on a UCC Manual on Church instructional video for six months (and may be able to finish it by the time I retire in a decade).

More than wishing I had more time, I wish I were smarter. I wish I could think of more ways to be helpful. I wish I knew more. A pastor expressed worry over a new church in town that was very aggressively "sheep stealing" (recruiting other churches' members). She was wondering if I knew of any resources to share. Well, the only resources that I know of are human resources -- herself, her remaining members, her colleagues, her Regional Conference Minister. While these are valuable, they don't provide the helpful quick fix I wish I could give sometimes.

I wish I could be everywhere. I think that for the six (fast approaching seven) years that I've been doing this job, I've been trying to prove Frank Graichen wrong. First, as a member of the Conference Ministry Search Committee, then as member and chairperson of the Conference Personnel Committee, as well as being the pastor at Trinity UCC, Rome, he has always said that conference ministry (at least in New York) is an impossible job. Being a pastor to pastors, a resource to congregations, staffing conference commissions, keeping up with office work, knowing all things UCC, teaching history & polity classes, traveling...traveling...traveling. Nevertheless, we've all been trying to do it...all.

I tuned into "60 Minutes" last night (I had to take a break from writing) in time to see the interview of Joel Osteen, the very popular pastor of one of the biggest mega-churches somewhere in the southwest (call it "Tex-ahoma"). When questioned about his lack of theology or very infrequent mention of the Bible, he simply said, "Those aren't my gifts. My gifts are to reach people where they are and give them a message of hope." Well, whether or not we appreciate his message, or his success in reaching 10's of thousands of people, he at least knows who he is and what he can do.

Even so, I've been coming to grips with my limits again. And, I've been recognizing new possibilities for ministry. In our "visioning" conversations in Oneida and Susquehanna I've made the statement that I believe that all of our authorized ministers and all of our churches need to be connected to a peer support group and/or network.

  • I've been excited about the cooperative ministry that is going on between the churches and pastors of Groton City, Groton Community and McLean Community Churches.
  • I've been gratified to hear of the grassroots ecumenical support group of which Joanne Lanfear (East Side, Binghamton), Pat Robinson (Sidney) and Jennifer Matison Juliano (Walton) are a part.
  • I'm happy to report that the Conference Staff has begun to have to formal Supervisory Support Consultations with Geoffrey Black.
  • I've also become a part of a group of judicatory peers in the Syracuse area that meets once a month for lunch and conversation without agenda.
It is good to know that we're not alone in ministry, that we are strengthened and encouraged for the mission to which God calls us when congregations worship, serve, pray, study together and join with one another in fellowship. It is good when those authorized for ministry can talk with one another about how they experience their calling, what are their joys and challenges.

At Faber College (the imaginary setting for the movie farce "Animal House") the institutional motto was "Knowledge is Good". Indeed! So is learning. I especially enjoy re-learning things that I had forgotten to think about in my busyness. Perhaps, you do, too.

Blessings,

Rick Cowles

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rick,

I am glad to hear that in all your busy-ness, you find time to watch Miss Marple....she is one of my favorite (unofficial)detectives...of course there is Columbo....this makes me feel comfortaable when I tell people that I always make time to watch Star Trek (Voyager series) and read Harry Potter....

I enjoy your articles and it is a pleasure receiving Crossrioad.

Melva